26/8/08

25 August, Almería birding (Dave E-B)

Dave Elliott-Binns was thrown out of the house yesterday, as you will read, and took off birding. I reproduce his e-mail in its entirety, along with three of his photos (Montagu's Harrier, Crested Coot and Spotted Redshank).

Hi Andy (& Arboleas Group),
With the imminent arrival of kids and grandkids, I was told by Gilly to get out from under her feet as she wanted to clean the house from top to bottom. Not wishing to incur the Wrath of Khan, a day's birdwatching was in order.

Left the house at 0645 and got down to the far end of Roquetas, Salinas de Cerrillos, by 0830. I was greeted by a Kingfisher. The Marsh Sandpiper was still there, together with the usual selection of waders, which included Ruff and Curlew Sandpiper. Heading back towards the hotels, I managed to get decent photos of Spotted Redshank and Crested Coot.
With 39 species under my belt, I headed off to Las Norias. Numerous Black Terns were joined by Sandwich, Little and Gull-billed. A pair of Marbled Teal were in the pool near the plastic recycling centre. Also there were Little Bittern & Squacco Heron. Only saw one juvenile Night Heron near the breeding area. The wintering Shoveler and Gadwall have begun to arrive. Had a chat with a birdwatching Junta ranger. Said about the viewing problems regarding the fence and vegetation. He said he didn't have a problem. He wouldn't .... he's got a key to get through the gates and the use of a company 4x4, which he stood on the roof of to see over any obstruction! I don't think so!! After a hearty lunch I headed for Cabo de Gata. 100's of cars along the beach road, but it was deserted on the salinas. Hoping to see the Elegant Tern reported previously, my heart skipped a beat when I glimpsed a red bill in a group of distant terns. Unfortunately it was a Common variety! As I was on my own I drove round the rear of the reserve. Normally we turn round at the hide and head back, but this time I carried on to see where the track came out.
Suddenly all the waders and gulls took to flight. I stopped and scanned and found a pair of Montagu's Harriers quartering the scrubland. The first time I'd seen that species there. They took my day's total to 59 species.
Very satisfying but wasn't it hot!!

No hay comentarios: