11/8/08

OFF TOPIC : chapuza

Una chapuza is a lovely Spanish word which means a mess-up, slovenly piece of work, or more basically a f***-p. Got the idea?
Now add Egmasa. Not heard of Egmasa? You're lucky, it's the company which is subsidiary to the Consejería de Medio Ambiente, or Dept. of the Environment of the Andalusian regional government. I shall explain and then you can draw your own conclusions and decide if you want to laugh, cry or just say, 'blankety-blank normal'.

We have not had decent signs at the Guadalhorce since Pontius was a pilot in spite of commments by all and sundry but, as we all know, the wheels of a Spanish administration grind exceedingly slow. Back last March, by chance, I was at the Guadalhorce and came up with Manolo Rendón, director of Fuente de Piedra and José Miguel Ramìrez, a birder and biologist, both thoroughly nice people and good friends. With them was a young lady introduced to me as Marga from Egmasa who were going the signs.

I offered to check out the English part to avoid errors and Manolo accepted my offer (I have
translated bits for him before) and I gave said Margo my card with name, e-mail address and phone numbers. After that, silence total and absolute, until a couple of weeks since when the new signs go up, all 17 of them! Ten of one and seven of the other, and all with faults in the English. Look at the attached photos and you'll see what I mean. There are no prizes for spotting them or for working out what they should be!

Now why señorita Marga of Egmasa couldn't get in touch, I don't know. Perhaps she thought that her knowledge of English is superior to mine, but it obviously isn't. The impression it gives to visiting birders with a knowledge of English is is appallingly poor, if not pathetic. But, no pasa nada, Spain is different.

I shan't rant on, it's not good for my blood pressure, but the b****y incompetence of it and of the young lady in question irks me beyond belief, especially as it is the Spanish taxpayer who suffers in the end. I know that if it was up to me, she wouldn't have a job for very long.

PS
Just in case you come to the conclusion that I am a grumpy old git (you may well be right according to my family), I suggest that you take a look at http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/index.asp and decide if he (and I) are right or not to be so.

No hay comentarios: